Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I dreamed about Obama last night

WTH? That was a new experience. He somehow had recently become the CEO of our company and was so new to the place that he still didn't know where all the departments were located or how to file his paperwork, etc. This was at the headquarters of a national organization, and in the dream I was like, "Huh? Why would Obama take a job HERE?" My duties involved operational support, and in my corner of the corporate world, we seldom saw anybody from the front office (I'm throwing terms around as if I use these everyday. What IS a front office, anyway?). When he sort of accidentally explored his way back towards my part of the operations (it was some industrial/textile type place...again...wth?), I suddenly became all flustered and bumbled everything and dropped stacks of papers and basically was a total dork while he was taking a tour of the facilities to meet all the staff and he graciously acknowledged me and I was mortified by my incompetency in front of him. It bemused me and ticked me off too, 'cause I was damn good at my job, and I knew it, and I knew other people knew it...except for him.

I never dream about celebrities or politicians. I don't seem to dream much at all, lately (that I can recall by morning). What the heck was I doing dreaming about Obama? And as I type up this post, I see all kinds of parallels about him being in charge and being new and not knowing all the details of how the place was run. But I'm a supporter of his, in my waking hours, and I get kinda bristly when people make cracks about his competency or lack of experience, so that just makes it all the weirder that my dream would highlight those qualities/circumstances, like I'm internalizing the perspective of his critics, of the people who disagree with his ability to lead.

In the dream, I made sure to put his time sheet in the right slot (I just happened to be walking by and noticed it lying there on a table...other people's timesheets were nowhere in my job description, so this was a totally gratuitous act on my part), because he had not known to put it there and it was probably not going to get processed if I didn't take care of that for him - which just furthered my annoyance that I was behind-the-scenes competent and in-front-of-The-Boss-incompetent...but I did it anyway. 'Cause I'm nice like that.

6 comments:

blognut said...

It was really good of you to make sure he gets paid. You ARE nice.

gudnuff said...

LOL...yeah! The man has a family to feed, afterall.

Lawyer Mom said...

Dreams are so weird! There's no accounting for them. I dreamed I was at a Hillary Clinton staff meeting during her campaign. They were thinking about putting her picture on the Orville Redenbacher popcorn label and I said it was a bad idea. WTF?

Unknown said...

I wonder how many hits you'll get on this post from the CIA. Or Mrs Obama's team.

KG said...

I feel confident that if I had harbored a dream about Obama, it would have been sexual in nature.

gudnuff said...

@A Lawyer Mom - Thanks for understanding the randmon freakiness of this experience. And I'm fairly certain that your post about Obama's "obfuscating" the effects of a government health care program caused the guy to show up in my dream. I guess I should thank you?

@Hyphen - yeah, well, I haven't googled the phrase myself, but I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing nocturnal visits from the man, so I feel fairly safe as one of many.

@Tranny - the total dork thing was definitely me getting all bothered by his presence, but I didn't want to directly say that in my post, so yeah...there were undertones, for sure. Just didn't want to admit it. I mean, head of the Law Review at Harvard...AND cool like he is? omg...whew!......